Goals / Outcomes: This research had two major research objectives: 1) to identify the policy, community and kin-level interventions that influence health outcomes for rural and northern Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal seniors; and 2) to create an assessment framework to monitor the range and impact of these interventions in supporting seniors' health outcomes in rural and northern areas.
Funder: Saskatchewan Health Research Foundation
Published Journal Articles:
- "Healthy Aging in Place: Perceptions of Rural Older Adults," Educational Gerontology (2014)
- "Healthy Aging in Place: Supporting Rural Seniors' Health Needs," Journal of Rural Nursing and Health Care (2013)
- "Rural Seniors," Encyclopedia of Quality of Life and Well-Being Research (2014)
- "Policy, community and kin: Interventions that support rural healthy aging," Activities, Adaptation and Aging (2014)
Published Conference Abstracts:
- Novik, N., Bacsu, J., & Johnson, S. (2013). Aging and rural mental health: “I don’t think I’ll ever get better.” Conference Program: Aging in America, 2013 ASA Conference. Chicago, Illinois. March 11-15, 2013. pp. 202.
- Bacsu, J., Jeffery, B., Novik, N., Martz, D., Johnson, S., & Abonyi, S. (2012). Policy, community and kin: Interventions the support rural healthy aging in place. Canadian Rural Health Research Society: 11th Conference, Levis, Quebec, October 25-27, 2012. pp 31.
- Novik, N., Bacsu, J., Jeffery, B., Martz, D., Abonyi, S., & Johnson, S. (2012). Barriers to mental health for rural seniors: “I don’t think I’ll ever get better.” Canadian Rural Health Research Society: 11th Conference, Levis, Quebec, October 25-27, 2012. pp 42.
- Novik, N., Bacsu, J., Jeffery, B., Abonyi, S., Johnson, S., Martz, D., & Oosman, S. (2012). Healthy aging through the eyes of rural Saskatchewan seniors: Factors that support aging in rural Saskatchewan. Abstract Book: Canadian Association of Gerontology: 41st Annual Scientific and Educational Meeting. Vancouver, British Columbia. October 18-20, 2012. pp 176.